Country Line Dance Association (Singapore), affectionately known as CLDAS by its members, was officially given the approval by Registry Of Societies in Aug 2000. Line dancing was starting to become popular in the late 1990’s and the Association was formed with an objective to promote and popularize line dancing in Singapore.
Towards this end, the Association had mooted the idea of the World Largest Line Dance in 2001 which was later realized by NTUC Income in 2002. It then worked with Singapore Sports Council to provide course materials for its line dance classes during 2003-2005. The Association has also initiated and completed a 3-year Dancing For Health project, supported by C3A, over the period of 2008-2010 with the aim to introduce line dancing as a low impact activity to the seniors for a healthy lifestyle.
As part of the efforts to promote line dancing in Singapore, the Association has also invited international line dance choreographers and instructors, including Bill Bader, John Robinson, Masters In Line, Neil Hale and Jo Thompson, since 2000 to conduct workshops and activities. A popular line dance music artist, Scooter Lee, was brought in for a concert in 2003 too. In the year 2010, the Association brought in another popular artist, Dave Sheriff, to celebrate its 10th anniversary.
In its short existence of 15 years since the year 2000, the Association has worked with numerous public and private organizations to conduct line dance activities, including workshops, jams and performances. Amongst the organizations it has worked with and the events it has participated include:
- Paya Lebar Square – Weekly Jam @ Paya Lebar Square 2015 onwards
- Marina Bay – Weekly Jam @ Marina Bay City Gallery area Aug 2013 onwards
- Far East Square – Weekly Jam 2001-2011 (formerly listed as Uniquely Singapore by STB)
- Singapore Chingay – Chingay Fringe Performance 2001
- People’s Association – PAL Accreditation Course for Instructors 2003-2004
- Singapore Post – Weekly Jam @ Singapore Post Centre 2005-2015
- Ministry Of Health – Healthy Lifestyle 2006-2007
- Singapore Recreation Club – Line Dance Charity 2007-2009
- Council for Third Age – Active Ageing Festival & 50+ Expo 2007-2011
- National Day Parade – NDP 2008 Pre-Parade Segment
- Singapore Heart Foundation – World Heart Day 2008-2010
- MediaCorp – President’s Star Charity 2009
- National Arts Council – Singapore Arts Festival Mega Line Dance 2010
- South East CDC – Love Your Heart 2011
- Uncle Ringo – SG50 Carnival 2015
Last updated: 14 Aug 2013